We recognise that ‘moving on’ can be difficult for a child with SEND and take steps to ensure that any transition is as smooth as possible.
If your child is moving to another school:
- We will contact the new school’s SENCo/Inclusion Lead and ensure he/she knows about any special arrangements or support that will need to be made for your child.
- We will make sure that all records about your child are passed on as soon as possible.
- The Inclusion Lead will do a personal handover to the Inclusion Lead of the new school if appropriate or possible.
- We will ensure that the relevant staff members from the receiving schools are invited to the final annual review for children with a statement before a planned move.
When moving classes in School:
Information will be passed on to the new class teacher IN ADVANCE and, a transition meeting will take place with the new teacher. All information will be shared with the new teacher.
- A social story book will be made for your child if it is felt that he/she would benefit from it.
Year 6- Year 7
- The Inclusion Lead will attend the Primary Transition Day to discuss the specific needs of your child with the Inclusion Lead of their secondary school.
- The Inclusion Lead, when appropriate, will do an additional ‘face to face’ handover with the secondary school Inclusion Lead.
- Your child will attend a small group in school, to support their understanding of the changes ahead. This may include creating a ‘Personal Profile’ which includes information about themselves for their new school.
- Where possible your child will visit their new school on several occasions and in some cases staff from the new school will visit your child in this school.